Many bosses in Old School RuneScape usually have simple mechanics, and it may only take a few tries to understand. Most bosses can be considered click-heavy when dealing with them. However, one boss is adamant and challenging due to how many different phases and rotations are available. The boss I’m referring to is Zulrah. Zulrah is one of the most challenging bosses in Old School RuneScape. This boss is so demanding that it even has a player-made add-on helper. More on that later.
Zulrah causes players so much trouble because of how prepared you have to be, and doing so much micromanaging during the fight. This fight can be completed within a few minutes once you know the mechanics and get the hang of changing gear throughout the war. However, that is easier said than done. High stats and the right equipment are needed if you want to survive the battle against this giant snake-like creature.
However, once you learn to beat this boss quickly, you will be making a lot of OSRS gold per hour. Not to mention that has loot table isn’t too shabby either, which can net you even more money.
Let’s jump right into the guide.
Zulrah Location and Requirements
One requirement needs to be met if you wish to battle Zulrah. You have to complete the Regicide quest, part of the Elf quest series. No other requirements are needed, but it is best to come with high enough stats to battle him.
Let’s get this out of the way; Zulrah can’t be damaged by melee attacks. This boss can only be damaged with ranged and magic spells. Luckily, he is weak to these attack types, depending on his form. Zulrah has three states that he can change into, all of which change his attack types. Zulrah has a decent amount of health and high defense.
- Combat level: 725
- Weakness: Range (Tanzanite Form), Magic (Serpentine and Magma Form)
- Hitpoints: 500
- Attack: 1
- Strength: 1
- Defense: 300
- Magic: 300
- Ranged: 300
- Serpentine Form (Green) – In this form he is weak to magic and will mostly do ranged attacks.
- Magma Form (Red) – Weak to magic in this form and will attack with melee.
- Tanzanite (Blue) – Weak to ranged attacks. In this form, he will attack with ranged and magic attacks.
- Snakelings-Zulrah will summon multiple snakelings to attack you. They only have one hitpoint each.
- Venom Clouds – Multiple venom clouds will spawn in the area doing damage over time. This attack cannot apply the venom status effect.
Recommended OSRS Items
Before we get into the general strategy of defeating Zulrah, you should have these OSRS items to make the battle much easier and less stressful. This is especially true when snakelings are summoned.
- Ring of Recoil or Suffering (r) – Useful for reflecting damage to snakelings.
- Ranging Potion – Boosts ranged stat
- Magic Potion – Boosts magic stat
- Anti-venom+ – Temporary immunity to poison and venom damage.
The biggest thing that will help you in this fight is to learn his phases and rotations. This can take a little bit of time to learn. It will also be a bit harder to explain. Luckily, the Old School RuneScape Wiki has a helpful picture to explain it. When the first phase starts, Zulrah will always begin to as the “green” form in the middle of the island.
Remember the Zulran helper I mentioned earlier? If you are on a PC, you can use the Zulran helper plugin to help learn the mechanics of the fight. This plugin is for Run elite. So if you are using the native client, you won’t be able to use it.
Be sure to change gear depending on the form he is in. While you can defeat him with only ranged or magic, it is best to have a set-up. This will increase your killing speed since you can exploit his weakness, no matter what form he is in.
There are some profitable drops that you can sell for OSRS GP. The following are some notable items that Vorkath can drop:
- Zulrah’s Scales – Used to charge various items and can be sold for a small amount of OSRS gold.
- Tanzanite Fang – Has a highly high OSRS gold price. I needed to make the Toxic Blowpipe.
- Magic Fang – Used to craft Toxic Staff of the Dead or Trident of the Swamp
- Serpentine Visage – Needed to create the Serpentine Helm
- Uncut Onyx – A rare gem needed to make high-level jewelry items.
I hope this guide has helped you. Zulrah is one of the most challenging bosses in Old School RuneScape, don’t expect to beat him on the first try. It might take a few attempts. Luckily, Zulrah is in a safe area; you can always get your stuff back if you die. Anyway, once you get the hang of changing gear for the different phases and rotations you will be able to farm him for a good amount of OSRS gold per hour. Just take your time and read his rotation and you will take him down in no time.
Have you beaten Zulrah? Got any tips? Let us know in the comments.